Did you know that people in Budapest speak English surprisingly well? Or that it’s the 25th most visited country in the world?
1. Budapest is sometimes called: “Jewish Mecca” or “Judapest”.
2. Buda and Pest have two completely different vibes. Some say Buda is a bit bougie and Pest is more…hipster. You be the judge.
3. Outdoor bars in Erzsébet tér plaza is all the rage, especially at night. Gotta pay for the bathrooms though. #UghMoment
4. Avoid August, unless you like to swim in your own sweat.
5. The Parliament Building at night is so breathtakingly beautiful that it should make more cameos in Rom Coms.
6. Goodbye to Raspberry Smirnoffs. Hello, watermelon Pálinka (Hungarian fruit brandy).
7. Paris’ got Champs-Élysées, Budapest rocks Andrássy Avenue like no other.
8. It’s dirt cheap! Where else can you stay at Le Meridien for $90/night then use leftover cash for an amazing meal?
9. Did we mention, even their dollar-wines are delish, especially sparkling? Aka: lolipops!
10. …Or dollar-beers. Not sparkling.
11. Just like Golden Gate Bridge connecting San Francisco and Tiburon, Chain Bridge crosses Buda and Pest but with two majestic lions.
12. You see them again at the National Széchényi Library. Roar!!!
13. Paprikas are on everything, and it’s a very good thing.
14. So are sausages. Spicy, boiled, smoked, livers, rice, blood. Yum, right?
15. They don’t beat out the thing that will make you smile and go to heaven: goulash – symbol of Hungary.
16. Something else has the same effect: thermal baths. 34-degree pools, we love you!
17. These baths aren’t for everyone. If sitting under an octagonal roof is too boho for you…
18. Then these spa parties might better suit your style.
19. Or head over to Instant to hear some killer DJs spinning…
20. While you spin through every ruin pub in the city.
21. Just to keep it classy, a night in the church with live chamber orchestra ain’t too shabby.
22. Unveil any unassuming graffiti window…
23. You’ll find some of the city’s coolest up-and-coming artists chatting up a storm.
24. The view up in the Buda Castle will blow your mind.
25. But don’t be surprised if Fisherman’s Bastion reminds you of Cheesecake Factory from home and avocado eggrolls suddenly sound oh-so-fine. You laugh, but it’s true.
What do you love about Budapest? Share with us in the comments.