Extreme weather in Budapest means, easier to decide what to throw in your luggage.
Packing for Budapest, or Hungary in general, is not too difficult since local weather can be incredibly extreme, making it easier to decide what to throw in your luggage. Winter can be extremely cold while summer is typically hotter than other cities in Eastern Europe.
Since Budapest is known for thermal baths, you’ll want to pack swimsuits regardless of which season you’ll be heading there. During summertime, outdoor thermal baths is a thrilling experience chilling by the pool while indoor bathhouses can be a warm escape from the wintery cold.
Bug sprays are musts in hotter temperatures if you plan on visiting riverside or Balaton Lake. In addition, whether you’ll be backpacking through Hungary or staying at vacation rentals (which is boutiquey and a fantastic option,) bringing your own toiletries is a packing-must.
The lists below are separated into two: summer and winter. If you’re traveling during spring or autumn, be sure to include hoodies, lightweight jackets and long sleeve shirts.
WINTER TIP! Pack lots of layers. (SCROLL to the bottom for the Winter Packing List.)
Summer Packing List:
- 3 shirts
- 2 polo shirt (men) / 2 summer dress (ladies)
- 1 pair of jeans
- 1 pair of shorts
- 1 pair of khaki or slacks for nice dinners/nightlife (men)
- 1 blazer for dinners/nightlife (men)
- 2 dresses for dinners/nightlife (ladies)
- 1-2 swimsuits (ladies) or swim trunks (men)
- 1 pair of sneakers
- 1 pair of sandals or flip flops
- 1 pair of walking shoes
- 1-2 pairs of heels (ladies)
- Soap/shower gel
- Toothpaste + toothbrush
- Razor + shaving cream
- Comb or brush
- First-aid kit (emergency supplies for: headaches, stomach aches, motion sickness, minor cuts, and band-aids.)
- Bug repellent spray
- Towel (if you don’t plan on staying in a hotel)
- 220-voltage converter
- Computer/phone chargers
- External battery
- Hard Drive (if you want to backup your images)
- Money Belt (men) / fanny pack (ladies)
- Locks for backpack or suitcase
PS. Ladies don’t forget: bra, birth control and tampons!
Winter Packing List:
Packing for Budapest during winter months (November – February) can be extremely cold but with the city blanked in snow, it’s also a beautiful time to visit. Pack lots of layers! Despite the snow outside, inside restaurants and museums will be blasted with heater.
You should follow the list above, then exchange some bullet points with items below accordingly:
Tip: Keep the swimsuits on this list as you’ll be flocking toward the warmth of thermal baths.
- 1 extra pair of jeans
- 2 sweaters
- 2 more shirts (you need a variety of layers by mixing flannels, fleece and hoodies)
- 1 beanie/winter hat
- 1 goose down parka
- 1 pair of leather gloves
- 2 scarves
- Ladies: 1-2 pairs of leggings for extra warmth in lower altitudes.