Florence knows how to party, and it doesn’t stop until the sun comes up.
The quaint beauty of Florence and the relaxed daily lifestyle of its residents could lead the unknowing visitor to assume that nightlife is not a priority in this city. But, this could not be further from the truth. Florence knows how to party, and it doesn’t stop until the sun comes up.
There are just a few things you should know before heading out for a night on the town:
- Although you’ll surely be eager to get your fun night started A.S.A.P., Florence nightlife doesn’t get into full swing until approximately 11 p.m., so you’re going to have to be a little patient. However, don’t worry about finding a way to fill the time, because Florentines eat late dinners. And who couldn’t use a little extra time to get ready before heading out?
- Public intoxication is always frowned upon, but Italians view it as especially unacceptable. So live it up in the club, but pull yourself together once you walk out the door, because obnoxious behavior will earn you disapproving glares and the label of disrespectful tourist.
- Ladies, stilettos and cobblestone streets do not mix, so leave your sky-high heels at home. A block heel, wedge, ankle boot or cute flat will be your best friend as you hop from place to place.
- While I personally never found pickpocketing to be a problem in Florence, it is always a good idea to keep a close eye on your belongings, especially in crowded clubs. At the very least, get out of the habit of sticking your phone in your back pocket.
- Catcalling is extremely common in Florence, and its prevalence will be a shock for American tourists. Being aware of this cultural difference will keep it from catching you off guard during your first night out.
- Using the buddy system is a helpful safety measure no matter where you are. Besides, a night out is always most fun when surrounded by good company!
Now that those tips are out of the way, it’s time to have fun! Hit these spots and you’re guaranteed to have an unforgettable night.
1. Kikuya Pub
Although Kikuya is technically an English pub, it is the perfect place to start a night out in Florence. Gather around a table with friends and try their draft Dragoon beer, which has become a popular order thanks to its relatively high alcohol content. They put a twist on the classic dimly lit pub atmosphere by offering games like Jenga that you can play at your table, and serving a lollipop with every beer.
2. Red Garter
Located right next door to Kikuya Pub on the bustling Via dei Benci, this karaoke bar is a must-visit. With a spacious bar area and full karaoke stage, complete with live guitar accompaniment to any song you choose to sing, Red Garter will be a favorite whether you find yourself onstage or would rather stay in the audience.
3. Full Up Concept Club
This is the place to go if you feel like dancing, because Full Up’s dance floor is always packed with people grooving to hits we all love. Not too spacious and not too cramped, there’s plenty of room for both dancing and relaxing when you need a little break. This club draws in tourists and locals alike, as everyone can have a great time here.
You can’t go wrong with YAB, which features a huge dance floor, plenty of seating, and a trendy tunes. This is the type of club that’ll make you lose track of time because you’re having such a great time dancing. Splurge on a VIP table if you feel like being a little exclusive, and gain access to a private area that overlooks always-crowded dance floor.
5. Space Club
Arguably the most popular club in Florence, Space takes Florence nightlife to another level. If you live for the club scene, this huge, multi-level disco is the place for you. Located on the outskirts of the city center, getting here will likely require a decent amount of walking, but the sheer magnitude of this club will make it all worth it.