Overpacking for Paris is an easy undertaking. After all, you’re about to visit the world’s most fashionable city.
A few days in Paris, you’ll soon realize Parisians tend to focus on natural beauty and basic tones. Black, white, browns and greys are their fashion uniforms while individual style tastefully prevails and cuts of garments truly stand out.
In order to keep your packing list easy and to-the-point (so no overpacking, because you’ll be doing lots of shopping,) here’s a list of must-pack items for all year round. Then, scroll down below for detailed checklists made for every season:
- For going out drinking or dancing at night: Women – dresses and heels. Men – button-up shirt, slacks and nice shoes.
- Raincoat & umbrella: prep for spontaneous rain
- For walking all day: 1 pair of comfortable shoes for cobblestones.
- Swimwear: for the hotel pool or laying out in lawns and gardens during summertime.
- Soap/shower gel
- Toothpaste + toothbrush
- Razor + shaving cream
- Comb or brush
- Underwear (Ladies: bras)
- If necessary: voltage converter (electrical voltage in France is 220-240 volts)
- Computer/phone chargers
- External battery
- Hard drive: if you want to backup your images
- Men: money belts to prevent pickpockets
In addition, here’s what else you’ll need:
Spring & Autumn:
Spring and autumn seasons in Paris may present different colors but the temperatures can range from approximately 8°C (46.4°F) to maximum 20°C (68°F.) During springtime, the avenues are lined with trees ready to turn green and the air seems to sweeter. While days during autumn may be shorter, but streets are layered with crumbles of leaves. Both seasons exude Parisian romance, perfect for cycling and strolling along the Seine River.
Here are some things to pack specifically for either spring or autumn:
- Lightweight scarfs (men & women)
- Trench coats, black leather jackets or lightweight blazers (men & women)
- Long dresses and skirts (women)
- 1 pair of black leggings (women)
- 1 pair of black tights (women)
- Jeans (men & women)
- Walkable flats or ankle boots (women)
- 1 pair of dress shoes & 1 pair of sneakers (men)
- Layer-friendly tops (men & women)
- Hats (because it’s what you wear in Paris!)
This is the season to bask in the sun, and have a glass of rosé by the river. Parks and gardens will be filled with people looking casually sharp. Temperatures typically range from 15°C (50°F) to maximum 33°C (91.4°F.) There’s also an assortment of outdoor festivals and horse races you may be invited to attend with friends. Outdoor cafes and restaurants will be jam-packed with people, as well as popular museums and monuments.
To prepare for a fantastic summer in Paris, be sure to pack these items in your suitcase:
- Sunscreen (men & women)
- 1-2 pairs of walkable flats (women)
- 1 pair of sandals or flip flops (men & women)
- 1-2 pairs of sneakers (men)
- 3-4 t-shirts & tanks (men & women)
- 1-2 pairs of jeans (men & women)
- 2-3 pairs of shorts (men)
- 3-4 dresses and/or skirts (women)
- 1 hat (men & women)
In recent winters, Paris has been warmer than before, but still expect snow. During winter months, the temperature in the city drops as low as 1°C (33.8°F) while highest may be 7°C (44.6°F.) Clearly, your luggage will be heavier than traveling during summer months, but it’s essential to stay warm as you sightsee throughout the day. Fortunately, cafes and restaurants are installed with heaters to escape the freeze. Although winter is considered off-season in Paris, there’s something extremely beautiful and charming about immersing in a city, adorned with lights, occasionally covered with snow.
Below is a checklist of essentials:
- 1-2 wool or faux fur coats
- 2-3 pairs of black tights (women)
- 3-4 thick sweaters (men & women)
- 2-3 long-sleeved shirts (men & women)
- 2-3 winter pants (men & women)
- 2 pairs of jeans (men & women)
- 1-2 long dresses or long skirts (women)
- 1-2 winter hats or beanies (men & women)
- 2-3 pairs of winter boots (men & women)
- 1 pair of gloves (men & women)
- 2-3 thick scarves (men & women)
- 1 umbrella (men & women)
- 1 pair of earmuffs (men & women)
- 1 bottle of lotion (men & women)