Packing for Panama should be easy and light! Rain is to be expected.
Packing for Panama will be easy and light! Situated right above the equator in a tropical region, weather is extremely humid practically all-year-round and considerably hot. From December through March, it’s one of the most popular vacation spots in Central America. Expect hotel rates to climb as high as doubling low season rates. Rain is to be expected, so be prepared for sudden showers and pack accordingly. Check the forecast before your trip.
Here’s a list of must-pack items for every season:
- For going out drinking or dancing at night: Women – dresses and heels. Men – button-up shirt, slacks and nice shoes.
- Raincoat & umbrella: prep for spontaneous rain
- For walking all day: 1 pair of sneakers (or comfortable shoes)
- Swimwear: for hitting the pools and beaches
- Soap/shower gel
- Toothpaste + toothbrush
- Razor + shaving cream
- Comb or brush
- Underwear (Ladies: bras)
- If necessary: voltage converter (electrical plugs are the same as U.S.: 110 AC)
- Computer/phone chargers
- External battery
- Hard drive: if you want to backup your images
- Fanny packs to prevent pickpockets
In addition, here’s what else you’ll need:
Mid-December to Early April Packing List:
This is high season in Panama, which also means dry season. Clearly, it’s the best time to visit Panama while temperatures might span from 75°F to 85°F (24°C – 29°C). In general, dress for humid, hot weather but if you’re heading to the highlands, you may feel a bit cold in the mornings and at night.
- Sunglasses for days and beaches
- T-shirts & tanks
- Shorts and skirts (women)
- Sandals or flip flops
- Lightweight jackets for highlands
- Ladies: avoid heels but bring wedges or cute flats.
Mid-April to Early December Packing List:
This is considered as Panama’s low tourist season because you’ll most likely encounter spontaneous thunderstorms. Although they don’t last long, downpours are quite heavy. Since rain is absolutely expected during this season, be sure to prepare umbrellas and lots of waterproof items.